Saturday, May 8, 2010

Camp trailer

I’ve never camper in a camp trailer before and have no experience whatsoever dealing with them. For the next 6 months a 1976 21’ Kit Companion travel trailer I picked up for $2000 will be home at a BLM field station in Rawlins, Wyoming. Things are not as I envisioned.

For starters, I assumed it would be something resembling like a camp site something like where we’ve camped up in Idaho. Having made a reconnaissance trip here a couple weeks ago, I knew there would be a lack of trees, but I didn’t have a chance to see where I’d actually be staying. The 5 trailers here are parked side by side. The pop out of the one to the left is 3’ away and the one on the right is about 8 feet away. Backing the trailer into the slot was a challenge.

Technically there are hookups here. None of the 220V sockets fit my plug. Luckily, I came prepared with a 110V converter plug so at least I have power. This should be fine since I don’t have anything like a TV or microwave. All I need are plugs to charge my small electronic stuff like notebook, phone, and MP3 player and power to my fridge. So far so good.

There is a hookup for water. Everything seemed to be OK until I turned on the water in the morning to try and take a warm shower. Nothing. The first thought was that someone here turned off the water. I played with the valve outside and everything seemed fine. Still, no water. Back outside. That’s when I noticed the hose was frozen solid. No biggie; I have extra hoses. It’s cold here this morning. The replacement hose froze in a matter of minutes. Great. Maybe if I leave a drip going through the hose tonight, this won’t happen tomorrow morning.

The waste water discharge connections aren’t quite right either. They are on the wrong end. Now, I am backed up to a chain link fence. Two of the other trailers have their front ends pulled up the fence so the discharge lines. Both of them are BLM trailers and have their wheels pulled off. They have been here a while. What this means is I need to get a long hose to connect my trailer. How well this will work on near level ground and freezing night time temperatures is anyone’s guess.

On the bright side, if I have a long hose I think I can get free propane and, most important, it’s a JOB!

Monday, I find out if this really is where I am supposed to be parked. Perhaps there’s a well-shaded site, away from the busy road, with a picnic table, and fire pit I’m supposed to be at. I won’t hold my breath.

No comments: