Spiced Rum Mango Shish Kebab
Ingredients for the kebabs
- 1lb beef (nothing special...sirloin works great) chopped in 1" cubes
- 1 can whole water chestnuts (non-canned would be better but I was lazy and there were none to be found)
- 1 can pineapple chunks (once again, whole fresh pineapple is better, but I'm in Bel Fourche, South Dakota and I use what I can find)
- Red bell pepper, chunked
- Several jalapeños bite sized
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1 white onion, chunked
- handful brown mushrooms
- anything else that seems interesting
- Olive oil (I used California fresh extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 ripe mango
- 1T cider vinegar
- 1T EVOO
- 1t cayenne pepper
- 1T molasses
- 2oz spiced rum for the sauce (I used Kraken)
- 3oz spiced rum + the juice from the canned pineapple on the rocks for the cook (YUM!)
- ~1T crushed red chilies (I used 3 whole dried Arbol Chili pods... why those? I dunno, they were on top and looked good)
- 1 t soy sauce
Put all BBQ sauce ingredients in food processor and blend. Take sip of rum and pineapple juice.
Skewer everything else. Brush skewers with EVOO so they don;t stick to the grill. Take another sip of rum & pineapple juice.
Liberally brush BBQ sauce on meat. Grill everything until it looks right and keep adding BBQ sauce to meat. Maybe have another rum & juice.
Changes... next time I make this, I may add some allspice to the sauce. It seems to work good in jerk sauce and think it would be a god addition here.