This didn't make it to the plate. I ate it right out of the pan.As usual, I made it for one.I recommend being more patient than was and actually put them on a plate. Eating them right out of the hot oil and butter is probably silly.
Pan-fried Yams with Caraway
1/2 yam or 1 small yam
2 T butter
2 T Italian extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp whole caraway seed
fresh ground white pepper to taste
salt to taste (I used coarse ground pink Himalayan salt)
Cut yam into 1/2 inch slices. Boil for 8-9 minutes. Don't overcook them. Drain yams.
Heat EVOO and butter in pan until butter stops bubbling. Place yam slices in pan and fry for about 5 minutes.Flip yams and sprinkle with caraway seed, pepper and cayenne. Fry for an additional 5 minutes.
Wednesday, November 14, 2012
I grilled elk steak for the first time today. This recipe was stolen from mantestedrecipes.com and modified slightly. This is awesome. This was way more steak than I could eat. The only problem I had was that I ran out of propane and had to throw the steaks under a broiler for the last 5 minutes.
Elk Steak Marinade
Marinade for elk steak.
Ready in 12 hours 15 mins
- 3 TbspItalian extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp minced onion
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayanne
- 1 1/2 lbs elk steak
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 10 mins | Extra time: 12 hours, marinating
1. Mix all marinade ingredients in a small measuring cup. Place elk steaks in a large zip lock bag. Pour marinade over steaks and seal bag. Refrigerate and marinate at least 12 hours.
2. When ready to grill, drain marinade and grill on high heat to desired doneness.